Skip to main content
search
0

Aurora Fire Department hazmat team responds to clubhouse


After being called to an apartment complex clubhouse in the city due to a foul odor on Monday, hazmat technicians from the Aurora Fire Department were able to remove a container of chemicals that caused the problem.

No one was injured during the incident, according to fire department officials.

Two chemicals – muriatic acid and chlorine – became mixed within a container and began producing a strong odor that permeated the surrounding area, according to a news release from the fire department.

Officials said in the release that an employee in the clubhouse on the 1200 block of Nantucket Road on Aurora’s West Side noticed the odor and called 911 around 10:20 a.m.

The two chemicals are highly corrosive, react violently when mixed with water and are known to pose a significant risk to human health and the environment due to their hazardous properties, the release said. Gas created from the chemicals is severely toxic, leading to respiratory distress and other serious health issues, according to officials.

After the area was evacuated and cordoned off, hazmat technicians wearing protective gear entered the clubhouse and then sealed and removed the container with the chemicals from the building.

Officials said the apartment complex’s management hired a professional clean-up company to secure and dispose of the chemicals.

A total of three engine companies, two truck companies, two medical units and three chief officers, including hazmat technicians and vehicles with specialized equipment, responded to the incident, the release said.


Source link

Leave a Reply